Grandfather Mountain

Brendan Sweeney

Grandfather Mountain

Postby Brendan Sweeney » March 31st, 2010, 9:47 am

Is there going to be a language week at Grandfather Mountain this year?
Janice Chan

Re: Grandfather Mountain

Postby Janice Chan » March 31st, 2010, 10:15 am

bsuibhne wrote:Is there going to be a language week at Grandfather Mountain this year?

Yes, there will be a Gaelic Song and Language Week at Grandfather Mountain again this year. The dates should be Sunday July 4 to Friday July 8, but I'll get confirmation of that.

Janice
Brendan Sweeney

Postby Brendan Sweeney » March 31st, 2010, 10:23 am

Tapadh leibh
Rudy Ramsey

Postby Rudy Ramsey » March 31st, 2010, 2:28 pm

Janice Chan wrote:
bsuibhne wrote:Is there going to be a language week at Grandfather Mountain this year?

Yes, there will be a Gaelic Song and Language Week at Grandfather Mountain again this year. The dates should be Sunday July 4 to Friday July 8, but I'll get confirmation of that.

Janice

Sunday, July 4 through Friday, the 9th (right idea, wrong number). And, of course, many of the attendees stay for the Grandfather Mountain Games on the weekend of July 10-11. The Gaelic song competition will be on the 10.

These dates are from Libit, the main organizer. They've had to wait for pricing from the College, and haven't quite finished arranging their instructors, but their announcement and registration materials should be posted on the website soon, at

http://www.acgamerica.org/events-1/grandfather-mountain
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » April 2nd, 2010, 1:25 pm

Teachers at this year's Grandfather Mountain Gaelic Song and Language Week will be Mike MacKay, Beathag Mhoireasdan, and Mary MacMillan. More workshop details and registration materials coming soon!
Last edited by Cam MacRae on April 14th, 2010, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan Sweeney

Postby Brendan Sweeney » April 6th, 2010, 4:51 pm

I am hoping to attend. I am up for a scholarship from the local Scottish society that should pay for the cost.
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » April 6th, 2010, 6:15 pm

bsuibhne wrote:I am hoping to attend. I am up for a scholarship from the local Scottish society that should pay for the cost.

That would be great! I think this is my tenth year and I'm looking forward to it as much as I did the first year.

And just out of curiosity, what's your name?

Cam
Brendan Sweeney

Postby Brendan Sweeney » April 6th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Is mise Brendan
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » April 8th, 2010, 10:52 am

Good luck with the scholarship, and I hope we see you in North Carolina.
Brendan Sweeney

Postby Brendan Sweeney » April 12th, 2010, 12:59 pm

Well I got the scholarship, so you will be seeing me at the course :D . Tha mi glè toilichte.
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » April 12th, 2010, 2:43 pm

bsuibhne wrote:Well I got the scholarship, so you will be seeing me at the course :D . Tha mi glè toilichte.

Meal do naidheachd, a Bhrendain!
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » April 14th, 2010, 10:27 pm

Information on this year's Grandfather Mountain Gaelic Song and Language Week is now posted at www.acgamerica.org.
Brendan Sweeney

Postby Brendan Sweeney » May 7th, 2010, 8:35 am

I am planning to stay for the games as well. Is the money for the extra nights paid separatly from the course fees, or is it added together.
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » May 7th, 2010, 8:51 am

bsuibhne wrote:I am planning to stay for the games as well. Is the money for the extra nights paid separatly from the course fees, or is it added together.

The fee for the extra nights is separate from your GFM fees. You will pay the weekend room fees directly to Lees-McRae College.

To arrange to stay on campus Friday and/or Saturday night, call Kris Stewart at 828-898-3311. If he doesn't answer, leave a message saying that you will be part of the Gaelic week and you would like to stay over for the games. Leave him a number for him to call you back. On Thursday afternoon of GFM we pay for our weekend rooms and pick up our new room keys.

If you want to eat in the college dining room during the weekend, you just show up and pay before going through the line.
Brendan Sweeney

Postby Brendan Sweeney » May 21st, 2010, 5:24 pm

Will a confirmation letter or e-mail be sent? I sent off my registration this week. I am looking forward to the classes. What kind of progress can I expect at beginner level?
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » May 22nd, 2010, 10:01 am

bsuibhne wrote:Will a confirmation letter or e-mail be sent? I sent off my registration this week. I am looking forward to the classes. What kind of progress can I expect at beginner level?

I don't remember if we get a registration confirmation or not, but I will ask and get back to you.

As for what kind of progress you can expect, that's a harder question.

How do you measure progress? There are so many things that go into learning a language. There's basic vocabulary, single words and whole phrases that let you exchange information with others. In one week of classes you will learn a lot of words, but you'll leave Grandfather Mountain realizing how much more there is to learn.

You'll also work on pronunciation, learning to make Gaelic sounds, as opposed to American English ones. To help with that, you'll have the chance to hear people speaking Gaelic around you all day long. You will probably attend a few song classes during the week, also giving you a chance to listen to and practice Gaelic sounds.

And then there's grammar. You'll get some of that too, hopefully not too much to start with, but just enough to keep you moving forward.

If it sounds like a busy week, it will be!
Rudy Ramsey

Postby Rudy Ramsey » May 23rd, 2010, 7:45 pm

bsuibhne wrote:Will a confirmation letter or e-mail be sent? I sent off my registration this week. I am looking forward to the classes. What kind of progress can I expect at beginner level?

I'm the registrar, and I have my database set up for the event now, so I should be able to send confirmation emails within a day or so.
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » May 23rd, 2010, 7:50 pm

Rudy Ramsey wrote:

I'm the registrar, and I have my database set up for the event now, so I should be able to send confirmation emails within a day or so.

Thanks! ;-)
Brendan Sweeney

Postby Brendan Sweeney » June 18th, 2010, 10:15 am

One final question. Is the contact information for Kris Stewart correct. I called the number and it was a McRae-Lees number but it wasn't Kris Stewart. I left a message anyway but haven't heard back.

Thanks,
Brendan
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » June 21st, 2010, 6:58 pm

bsuibhne wrote:One final question. Is the contact information for Kris Stewart correct. I called the number and it was a McRae-Lees number but it wasn't Kris Stewart. I left a message anyway but haven't heard back.

Thanks,
Brendan

It turns out the Kris Stewart is not longer working in that department. The new guy is called Mitch Marlowe. He's the Associate Dean of Students and has the same phone number.

828-898-3311

His email is: marlowem@lmc.edu

I'd go ahead and give him another call just to be certain that he's got you on his list.

Cam

Return to “General Chatter”