Gaelic material on memrise.com

Steaphanaidh Carlyle
Site Admin

Gaelic material on memrise.com

Postby Steaphanaidh Carlyle » July 23rd, 2014, 9:29 am

I came across an online Gaelic course, one of many language courses running on http://memrise.com/.

Mostly, it's an interactive web application which uses audio files and multiple choice to help you learn a language. The multiple choice element uses words or pictures (or both) and on the whole, seems to work very well - I've been playing with it over the last couple of days.

In terms of the Gaelic content, there seem to be a lot that's free (at the moment anyway.)

I am not relly sure how useful it would be for someone learning from the ground up, because it mostly is a case of listening to the audio, and clicking the right answer. It might work better as a revision/refresher tool in conjunction with a more traditional course, but I admit I've only been playing with it for a couple of days.

That said, there are parts of the courses which require you to actually type in an answer, which can be good practice for your Gaelic spelling.

What is interesting is that you can also create courses for others to work on, although I haven't really dug much into that.

Basic sign-up is free, but from what I can tell, there is going to be some kind of premium element to it and I think this will also allow you to use their smart phone app. I only signed up for the free access, so I may not be seeing everything they have to offer.

The site is also designed as a sort of social network - you can see what other people are doing, and you are scored on everything you do. There's a "league table" of sorts, so you can see how you're doing, compared to other users. You can 'follow' other users, interact with them, and so on. It's not exactly Facebook, but some people might enjoy the social element to this.

Anyway, that's some of my first impressions. I'm going to keep plugging away (I started with the simple stuff and I'm working through it, so I'm going pretty fast right now) and see how it goes. My username there is 'steaphanaidh', so if you join up, follow me :)

Steaphanaidh Carlyle

Return to “General Chatter”