Introduce (or re-introduce) yourselves...

Steaphanaidh Carlyle
Site Admin

Introduce (or re-introduce) yourselves...

Postby Steaphanaidh Carlyle » July 17th, 2014, 11:31 am

Since things have been pretty quiet in this forum of late, I figured it was time to try and get us all chatting again, in Gaelic or English, but chatting about Gaelic!

I'm Steaphanaidh, and I was just elected to serve on the ACGA Board of Directors for the next 3 years.

I will also be part of the Gàidhealteachd Support and Outreach committees, and perhaps a couple of other things, plus I have some ideas of my own I'll be trying to make happen...

I'm a native Scot, and I grew up in eastern Scotland. Sadly, back then, the concept of Gaelic Medium Education didn't really exist as a concept where I lived, but through "Can Seo" (argh, horrible 70s fashion alert!) and "Speaking Our Language" (somewhat less-horrible 90s fashion alert!), as well as a bunch of other courses, here I am...

I moved to the U.S. around the end of the last century and I'm currently living near Baltimore.

So, come on then... let's be hearing from you, even if you've been here so long that you feel like you're part of the digital furniture :) In Gaelic, English, or both!

If you're a new member, please don't feel shy. We don't bite - at least until we get to know you better! :D

Siuthadaibh! (Go on!)
Last edited by Steaphanaidh Carlyle on August 11th, 2014, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steaphanaidh Carlyle

Janice Chan

Re: Introduce (or re-introduce) yourselves...

Postby Janice Chan » July 17th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Is mise Seònag no Janice 'sa Bheurla.

I've been an ACGA member since about 2002 (Tha mi a' fàs sean agus chan eil cuimhne agam a-nis!) I live in Toronto where I am lucky to have a small but dedicated group of Gaelic learners to meet with and practice speaking.

I am a past president of ACGA, and am currently Membership Secretary (so I know all of your names and where you live!) and am part of the editorial team for our e-zine, An Naidheachd Againne.

I've met some of you at various ACGA immersion weekends and at Grandfather Mountain. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to meet more of you at future events!
Mike Small

Postby Mike Small » July 24th, 2014, 5:37 pm

I too was pondering how quiet it is in here, and considered posting that it's TOOOOO quiet in here, but you punched me to the beat. I mean, beat me to the punch. :lol:

I met Janice, and several others, at the GS&LW, and look forward to meeting many more as time passes.
Steaphanaidh Carlyle
Site Admin

Postby Steaphanaidh Carlyle » August 7th, 2014, 7:38 am

Some news sin my last post!

I have been elected by The Board of Directors to serve as Vice President of ACGA...

I hope to have some important news for you all, soon... as in the next couple of months...

:)

Steaphanaidh Carlyle

Jack Knipe
ACGA Board Member

Postby Jack Knipe » August 9th, 2014, 12:54 pm

I've been a member of ACGA since 2012. Still trying to navigate this site but am excited about all that's going on. I've done some of my PhD research on teachers' perspectives of critical language pedagogy in Gaelic Medium Education within Scotland. Exciting to see so much going on here in North America with the language!

It's also great to see such an excellent and competent leadership team. Browsing through the threads, it's obvious that a lot of work goes on daily! Looking forward to learning a lot from you all.
Micheal MacAoidh
ACGA President

Postby Micheal MacAoidh » August 10th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Is mise Mìcheal Macaoidh agus tha mi 'nam bhall de ACGA bho chionn fhada - bho naoi ceud deug, ceithir fichead 's a h-ochd deug. Bha mi 'nam cheann-suidhe a' Chomainn uair, agus rinn is nì mi teagasg sa Ghàidhlig air Skype agus aig ar n-iomairtean nuair a thèid cuireadh a thoirt dhomh. Is mise ceann-suidhe a' Chomainn an-dràsda, agus nuair a bhios am Mòd againn seachad, cuiridh mi làmh ris an obair sin - ach a-nis tha sinn uile ann an làmhan comasach Steaphanaidh. Chì sinn comharraidhean obair Steaphanaidh ann an iomadach àite air a' fòram seo, agus nach sinne tha fortanach gu bheil i an sàs ann an iomadach rud. Nuair a bhios tìd' agam barrachd a dhèanamh san oifis, 's e mo dhòchas agus mo mhiann a bhith a cheart cho iasgaidssh tapaidh rithe!
Agus innsidh mi dhuibh - tha rudan mòra matha a' dol a thighinn - fuirichibh gus am faic sibh cho math 's a tha ar Comunn a' dol a dh'fhàs!

I'm Mike Mackay and I've been a member of ACGA for a long time - since 1998. I was president of ACGA once, and I have and do teach Gaelic on Skype and at ACGA events when invited. I'm the current president, and when the Mòd is done, I'll start in this office - but for now we are in the capable hands of Steaphanaidh. We can see the signs of her work in many places on this forum, and we are fortunate indeed that she is involved in many efforts. When I have time to do more in this capacity, it's my wish and hope to be just as industrious and fervent as she is!
And I'll tell you - there are many good and great things coming. Just wait till you see how well our ACGA is doing to grow!

MM
Megan Moffitt

Postby Megan Moffitt » August 11th, 2014, 7:49 pm

Cha ghabhaibh mo fhàclan Gàidhlig mar soisgeul, tha mi fhathast nam fear-ionnsachadh. Megan Moffitt an seo, tha mi air nach bhail ACGA bho '09/'10. An roimhe, bha mi 'nam bhail aig Clì Gàidhlig ann an Alba. An uair sin chunnaig mi sanas-reic ACGA ann am pàipear Clì dom b'ainm Cothrom agus smaoinich mi: 'Biodh e nas fhèarr ma tha cothrom a bhith am measg luchd-ionnsachadh Gàidhlig anns Na Stàitean'. Agus sgeul fada rinn gòirid, tha mi seo. Tha mòran rudan agam ann airson a bhith tàingeal: Rughadh ann an tealach agam, coinneachadh ri mo bhean co leis a bhi fuireach san mo chrìdhsa gu bràth; agus beannachadh mi a h-ainm *Cèit, agus mu dheireadh thall, tha mi tàingeal a bhith am measg gach uile ball taghta An Comunn Gàidhealach Ameireaganach. Abair e! Togaibh ur gùthan! :)

Don't take my Gaelic as gospel, I'm still a learner. Megan Moffitt here, I've been an ACGA member since '09/'10. Before, I was a member of Clì Gàidhlig in Scotland. Then I saw an ACGA ad in the Clì newspaper named Cothrom and I thought: 'It would be better if I had a chance to be among Gàidhlig learners an The States'. And long story made short, I'm here. There exist many things I have to be thankful: Being born in my family, meeting my wife whom will stay in my own heart till the end; and I bless her name *Katie, and at last, I'm thankful to be amongst every fine member of An Comunn Gàidhealach Ameireaganach. Shout! Lift your voices! :)
Last edited by Megan Moffitt on May 5th, 2015, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » August 27th, 2014, 4:04 pm

I'm Cam MacRae. I've taught school and worked in museums and libraries most of my life, and I've been an active member of ACGA for about fifteen years, working on various committees and projects.

Right now, besides helping to put out our quarterly newsletter An Naidheachd Againne, I'm enthusiastically involved in the effort to raise ACGA's visibility on social media. Look out! Here we come!
Victor Wilson

Postby Victor Wilson » November 5th, 2014, 6:34 am

Hello, I'm Victor. I'm a writer. I want to learn Gaelic for three main reasons: 1) The classic Scottish heritage reason, 2) I completely fell in love with it when I visited Glasgow in May on a research trip, and 3) Have you met the Scots? They are definitely the most awesome, and hottest people ever. I just joined. I found out about this when I finally sat down, and thought—since I speak French—, 'Do I want really to speak Gaelic, or do I want to be one of those people who just says that he wants to learn the language, but could never "because I don't have time"?' I, obviously, decided actually to do this. So, please, expect me to make a lot of mistakes.
“Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind is written large in his works.” -Virginia Woolf
Steaphanaidh Carlyle
Site Admin

Postby Steaphanaidh Carlyle » November 5th, 2014, 6:52 am

Victor Wilson wrote:... Have you met the Scots? They are definitely the most awesome, and hottest people ever...

Welcome, Victor.

And as a native Scot myself, and on behalf of the Scottish people, I thank you for your kind comment about us... :P

Steaphanaidh Carlyle

Mike Small

Postby Mike Small » November 5th, 2014, 8:10 am

Welcome !

I have met a few Scots, not Stephanie though, and they are wonderful.

You will not be the first, or last, to make mistakes. If I may be permitted to give some advice (and it's something I have to embrace as well) "just do it" rather than wait until you believe you will do it perfectly. Better broken Gaelic than perfect 'anything else'. :D

Mike
Megan Moffitt

Postby Megan Moffitt » November 5th, 2014, 4:00 pm

Hi, Victor. I'm very pleased you decided to join our forum. I, myself, like you was caught by the Gaelic language as an adult. The learning process is very gratifying once you reach a certain level as you probably know from your French learning. One of my proudest moments was speaking to Julie Fowlis at one of her concerts in Gaelic. All I did was say: 'Good evening' , 'You're an excellent singer' and 'will you please sign my CD booklet'. She asked me things like 'where are you from?' and where did you learn Gaelic?. I was practically floating once I was done with the exchange and I knew all the hours of studying and exercises and memorization all led me to that moment of earth-shattering personal breakthrough. I hope and mildly suspect that Julie came away knowing that her treasured language and culture are both recognized and respected here in North America-where countless Scots arrived in exile from the beloved place of their birth.

What I would like to wish you the very best of luck! And don't be afraid to make errors because they are necessary components in the learning process. I've been speaking English for most of my life and I still stumble over a word or two. Find or start a study group (we have a list of them by state and province on our website). And Don't ever lose the fire you have to learn Gaelic. Also, Ar Canan 's Ar Ceol-Our Language and Our Music- that's the slogan or the sluagh-ghairm (cry of the people) or ACG (the original Highland Society in Scotland), and A Cumail a Ghaidhlig Beo (Keetping Gaelic Alive) That's ours ACGA.

Welcome Home Victor!
Scott Howard

Postby Scott Howard » February 24th, 2015, 4:33 pm

'S e Scott a th' orm. 'S ann às a' Alabama a tha mi. Tha mi a' fuireach ann an Mississippi.

My wife (Catriona), and I spent 2 weeks at Colaisde na Gàidhlig in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia last August, We have been steady at study of the Gàidhlig lanuage since. We began learning Gàidhlig with three wonderful instructors, Kathleen Reddy, Lewis McKinnon, and Joyce MacDonald. They "hooked us on Gaelic."

Since finding An Commun Gàidhealach Ameireaganach online, we have learned that Kathleen Reddy will be instructing at the Grandfather Mountain Gaelic Song & Language Week. We cannot wait to sign up for that.

We're glad to be a part of this organization, and look foward to full participation!

Le gach deach dhurachd!!

Scott Howard
Last edited by Scott Howard on February 25th, 2015, 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
An ath-bhliadhna ann an h-Alba!
Janice Chan

Postby Janice Chan » February 24th, 2015, 4:49 pm

Fàilte dhut a Scott (agus a Chatrìona).

'S mise Janice agus tha mi a' fuirich ann an Toronto. Tha sinn toilichte gu bheil thu an-seo!

You'll certainly enjoy Grandfather Mountain - in addition to Kathleen, Gillebrìde MacMillan and Joy Dunlop will be there. Abair cèilidh!

We're thrilled that you're interested in actively participating in the organisation. Just let us know what your interests are!
Scott Howard

Postby Scott Howard » February 24th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Tapadh leat a Janice! Please pardon my beginner Gàidhliig.

To all of you master Gàidhlig speakers out there, feel FREE to correct my writing/speaking at any time! I will take it as constructive criticism. :)
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » February 24th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Hello a Scott agus a Chrtrìona,

'S mise Cam agus tha mi a' fuireach ann an Illinois. Tha mi toilichte gum bi sibh aig Beinn Seanair. Bidh mi an sin cuideachd.

I'm happy that you will be at Grandfather Mountain. I'll will be there too.

See you in North Carolina!
Scott Howard

Postby Scott Howard » February 24th, 2015, 9:07 pm

Tapadh leat a Cam!

We are excited about going to GM. We stayed in the Linville River Log Cabins last time. Anyone have any better suggestions? Hopefully there will be 3 of us going this year.
Also, when can we sign up and pay for the Gaelic song & language week?
Janice Chan

Postby Janice Chan » February 24th, 2015, 10:49 pm

I stayed at the Little Main Street Inn, 607 Main Street East, Banner Elk, NC 28604 last year with my husband. It would be ideal for 3 people, as they have some suites with 2 bedrooms. About 5 minutes to Lees-McRae and reasonably priced.

Registration should be open soon, and you'll receive an email with details about how to do that.
Cam MacRae

Postby Cam MacRae » February 25th, 2015, 9:59 am

Scott Howard wrote:Tapadh leat a Cam!

We are excited about going to GM. We stayed in the Linville River Log Cabins last time. Anyone have any better suggestions? Hopefully there will be 3 of us going this year.
Also, when can we sign up and pay for the Gaelic song & language week?

I always stay on campus with the rest of the students. The dorms are pleasant, and meals in the dining hall are a good time to catch up with old friends and talk with new students and teachers. Banner Elk is so small though that you'll be close by wherever you stay.
Scott Howard

Postby Scott Howard » February 25th, 2015, 10:18 am

Math fhèin! Tapadh leat!

Return to “Tell Us About Yourself”