Welcome to the Forum Site of An Comunn Gàidhealach Ameireaganach (ACGA), the American Scottish Gaelic Society. It's nice to have you here.
Our mission is to promote and preserve the Gaelic language and culture by supporting Gaelic language study and interest in Gaelic literature, song, music, art and history in North America and the world. In addition to this forum site, we have a website at http://www.acgamerica.org. That site is relatively static, but has lots of information about our organization, events, learning resources, scholarships, our Gàidhealtachd Support program, and other good stuff. That's also the place to go if you're interested in joining ACGA.
About These Forums
This Forum Site consists of a collection of Rooms, each containing multiple Forums. Each Forum is a place in which multiple Topics can exist. Each Topic is a series of Posts, or messages, placed there by our participants. So the whole site is really a way of allowing communication among our participants in an organized way. If you understand how the whole thing is structured, you can easily find your way to the material that interests you, and you can subscribe for email notifications (by Forum or by Topic) whenever something new is posted that might interest you. That's a powerful capability; don't fail to at least consider making use of it.
There are well over 20 separate forums here, divided into five Rooms:
- The Board Room -- A private room used for the business of the Board of Directors.
- The Committee Room -- Containing a separate, private forum for each of the ACGA committees.
- The Members' Room -- Containing forums intended for use by our members. These forums are visible to registered non-members, but only members can do posting here. We post our news and announcements, and have an ongoing auction of Gaelic materials here. There's a forum devoted to Gaelic-only conversations, and whatever else we think of that's of benefit to our members. If you're a guest, and you want to see the material posted here, you'll need to register. It's a simple process and it's free.
- The Classroom -- Containing forums devoted to particular forms of Gaelic learning, such as translation exercises, as well as a forum for discussion of Gaelic teaching. This room is also visible to registered non-members, but not unregistered guests. Only members can post here.
- The Public Room -- Where you are now. The forums in this room are visible to all, but posting requires registration. Again, that's simple and free. You need not be an ACGA member to register as a member of the board and post messages here.
Tips for Using This Site
Following this post is a series of tips for use of the forum site. Each of them is a separate post. We'll try to keep them short and sweet, and my suggestion is that you just read through them. For ease of reference, though, here are links to the individual tips:
- Navigation Tips -- http://forum.acgamerica.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27&p=79#p318
- Subscribing to Email Notifications -- http://forum.acgamerica.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27&p=79#p319
- Registering for the Site -- http://forum.acgamerica.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27&p=390#p390
It's my intention to keep this topic clean, for quick and easy reading and reference. If you have questions or suggestions, you have three options. You may post them here, but I will delete them after reading and acting on them. That would be good for suggestions for the tips here, for example. You may post them in the Chatter (Other Stuff) forum here in the Public Room if you would like others to be able to see them and respond, or you may send them to me as a private message.